Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
Photo by: Joseph DeLeo
This homemade granola is intensely nutritious because it is rich in protein and healthy fats from the sunflower seeds and nuts. If you want to substitute a store-bought granola or cereal, measure a portion equal to 150 calories for the large meal or 110 calories for the small meal. Look for a cereal that is low in saturated fat, trans fat and sugar. Keep in mind that a store-bought cereal may not give you the same protein boost that is found in this Crunchy Nut Granola.
1. In a large bowl, mix the sunflower seeds, coconut, wheat germ, ground flaxseed, nuts and oats.
2. In a small bowl, combine corn syrup, oil, vanilla and almond or coconut extract.
3. Add the syrup mixture to the dry ingredients. Make sure any wet lumps are well blended in.
4. Place granola in a large casserole dish and bake on middle rack at 350°F (180°C) for 30 to 35 minutes, or until slightly toasted. During baking, remove the pan from the oven every 10 minutes and stir, so that the granola cooks evenly.
5. Once toasted, remove from the oven and right away transfer to a metal bowl or pot; otherwise, the granola may stick to the bottom of the hot pan as it sits to cool. Stir once or twice as it’s cooling. Once cooled, add cereal and raisins. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Per 1 cup (250 mL)
Carbohydrate 58 g
Fiber 8 g
Protein 11 g
Fat, total. 19 g
Fat, saturated 4 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 104 mg
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.