Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
These traditional dainty sandwiches are an essential part of an English tea party.
Step 1 can be completed 1 hour in advance, and the cucumber slices stored in the refrigerator.
1. Using a sharp knife, carefully slice the cucumber into rounds, no thicker than 1/8 in (2mm). Place the cucumber slices in a colander and sprinkle with the salt. Let stand for 20-30 minutes to allow the excess liquid to drain off. When ready to use, sprinkle the slices with the vinegar.
2. Spread each slice of bread with some softened butter. Arrange the cucumber slices in an even layer over 4 slices of bread. Season with pepper, then top with the remaining bread slices, buttered sides down.
3. Cut off the crusts from each sandwich, then cut each sandwich into squares, triangles, or rectangles. Arrange the sandwiches on a serving plate. Sprinkle with watercress, and serve at once.
Cheese and Cucumber Sandwiches
As an alternative to butter, spread the bread with cream cheese or soft goat cheese.
Nutritional information includes 4 teaspoons of butter for spreading and using white bread.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members save 15% Mon-Thurs & during weekend lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members save 10% every day when dining at McCormick and Schmick's.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today