Join or Renew and Choose Your Gift
- Offer ends Dec. 17
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Sheri Giblin
Cheese balls were all the rage in the 1970s, an easy, tasty, fab party food for any occasion. What’s old is now retro-chic—this lightened-up cheese ball seduces with the sweetness of dates, the savory bite of blue cheese, a hint of shallot, and a teasing whiff of lemon zest.
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the cream cheese, blue cheese, and buttermilk on medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the dates, shallots, lemon zest, salt, and pepper and beat until well combined.
2. Transfer the cheese mixture to a large sheet of plastic wrap/cling film and form it into a ball. Wrap the ball in the wrap/film and refrigerate until well chilied, at least 2 hours or overnight.
3. In a shallow bowl or plate, mix together the parsley and walnuts. Remove the cheese ball from the refrigerator. With the wrap/film still on, shape into a well-formed ball. Unwrap the cheese mixture and roll it gently in the nut mixture until all sides are well covered. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Dip Do-Ahead: The cheese ball can be prepared up to 2 days in advance. Cover and refrigerate.
Toasting Nuts and Seeds:
Toasting pine nuts, almonds, walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, cashews, and pumpkin seeds brings out their fullest, richest flavor. Place the nuts or seeds in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet/tray and bake in a preheated 350°F/180°C/gas 4, oven until lightly browned. 5 to 10 minutes, depending on the nut or seed. Alternatively, nuts and seeds can be browned in a microwave. Place in a single layer on a microwave-safe plate, and microwave on high power for 2 to 3 minutes, or until lightly browned, stirring once or twice while they are toasting. Watch carefully that they don’t burn.
Nutritional information is provided by the author.
Serving Size: 2 tbsp
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members can download new coupon offers available monthly from Kellogg's.
Members can get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members save 20% on Wednesdays when dining at Carrabba's Italian Grill.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today