Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
Photo by: Mark Shapiro
I love to make this delicious dessert in the fall when apples and cranberries are in season. This version is a little tart, which suits my taste, but if you have a sweet tooth, add more sugar to the cranberry mixture. Great on its own, this is even better with whipped cream or a scoop of frozen yogurt or vanilla ice cream.
1. In a bowl, combine apples, cranberries, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and lemon juice or port. Mix well and transfer to prepared stoneware.
2. Coconut Topping: In a separate bowl, combine brown sugar, rolled oats, coconut and butter. Using two forks or your fingers, combine until crumbly. Spread over apple mixture.
3. Place two clean tea towels, each folded in half (so you will have four layers) over top of stoneware. Cover and cook on High for 3 to 4 hours, until crisp is hot and bubbling. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.
Variation: Apple-Coconut Crisp
Use 6 cups (1.5 L) of sliced apples, reduce sugar to ¼ cup (50 mL) and use lemon juice rather than port wine.
Nutritional information is based on 8 servings, and uses 1 tablespoon of butter to grease the slow cooker.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.