Join or Renew and Choose Your Gift
- Offer ends Dec. 17
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
This is one of those dishes I never tire of. If you prefer not to fry the eggplant, try making this with grilled or baked slices.
1. Prepare the sauce, if necessary. Then, trim the tops and bottoms off the eggplants. Cut the eggplants crosswise into ½-inch-thick slices. Arrange the slices in a colander, sprinkling each layer with salt. Place the colander over a plate to drain for at least 30 minutes. Rinse off the salt with cool water and dry the slices with paper towels.
2. Line a tray with paper towels. Heat about ½ inch of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat until a small piece of eggplant sizzles when added to the pan. Add just enough of the eggplant slices to fit in a single layer without crowding. Fry until golden brown on one side, about 3 minutes, then turn them over and brown on the other side, about 2 to 3 minutes more. Drain the slices on the paper towels. Cook the remaining eggplant slices in the same way.
3. Place a rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spread a thin layer of tomato sauce in a 13 × 9 × 2–inch baking dish. Make a layer of eggplant slices, overlapping them slightly. Top with a layer of mozzarella, another layer of sauce, and a sprinkle of grated cheese. Repeat the layering, ending with eggplant, sauce, and grated cheese.
4. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbling. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on 8 servings, and 1/8 teaspoon added salt and 1 tablespoon added oil per serving. Nutritional information does not include Marinara Sauce. For nutritional information on Marinara Sauce, please follow the link above.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members can download new coupon offers available monthly from Kellogg's.
Members can get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members save 20% on Wednesdays when dining at Carrabba's Italian Grill.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today