Join or Renew and Choose Your Gift
- Offer ends Dec. 17
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Mark Shapiro
Sprinkle this easy dough with your favorite toppings, such as cheeses, cooked chicken, salami and roasted vegetables, to create your very own signature pizzas.
1. In a saucepan over medium heat, bring milk and butter to a simmer until an instant-read thermometer registers approximately 120° to 130°F (50° to 55°C), about 3 minutes. Do not let boil.
2. Meanwhile, in work bowl fitted with metal dough blade, process 2 cups (500 mL) of the flour, sugar, salt and yeast until well combined, about 10 seconds. With the motor running, slowly pour hot milk mixture through the feed tube into work bowl. With the motor continuing to run, spoon additional flour through the feed tube, ¼ cup (50 mL) at a time, until dough starts to pull away from sides and begins to gather.
3. Remove from work bowl and place on a floured surface. Knead until dough is smooth and elastic, 3 to 5 minutes. Shape into a ball. Transfer to a large oiled bowl and turn to coat all over. Cover loosely with plastic wrap. Let dough rise in a warm, draft-free place until double in volume, about 45 to 90 minutes, depending on humidity and heat factors.
4. Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Punch down dough and cut in half. Press each out to about ½ inch (1 cm) thick and 10 inches (25 cm) round. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Add your favorite toppings. For a thin crust, bake right away; for a thicker crust, let rise for 15 to 20 minutes. Bake in preheated oven until the crust is light brown on bottom, 15 to 20 minutes.
Variation: Replace half of the flour with whole wheat flour for a whole wheat crust. Don’t replace all of the flour with whole wheat or you will have a brick.
You can make the dough to the end of Step 2 up to 3 days ahead. Refrigerate until ready to use. Let warm to room temperature before shaping in Step 3.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on 1 whole pizza crust.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members can download new coupon offers available monthly from Kellogg's.
Members can get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members save 20% on Wednesdays when dining at Carrabba's Italian Grill.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today