Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
The subtle anise flavor of fresh fennel gives this potato gratin a light, fresh taste. Serve with any holiday roast.
1. Lightly grease a large gratin dish (about 14 x 11 x 2 inches) with butter. Layer the bottom of the dish with half of the potatoes. Layer half of the fennel slices on top. Season with half of the flour, half of the thyme and rosemary, and salt and pepper to taste. Dot with half of the butter cubes. Repeat with the remaining potatoes, fennel, flour, thyme, rosemary, and butter, and season with salt and pepper to taste. (You can make the dish several hours ahead of time. Cover and refrigerate until ready to bake.)
2. Place a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees F.
3. Pour the cream and milk on top of the gratin. Bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Tilt the dish and baste the milk and cream on top of the potatoes and fennel Sprinkle the cheese on top of the gratin. Reduce the heat to 300 degrees F, leave uncovered, and bake for another 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the potatoes and fennel are tender, the cheese melted, and almost all of the milk and cream have cooked into the vegetables. Let rest about 5 minutes before serving hot.
Nutritional information includes 1 tablespoon of butter for greasing the pan and 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.