Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
Photo by: Michael Potts
This recipe was given to me by Graziana, a native of the port city of Bari. When she moved away from Bari, Graziana could not find any good focaccia, so she and her sister created this easy, no-fail recipe.
After learning how to make this focaccia at Graziano’s house and tasting it, I too am convinced that it’s the best focaccia in southern Puglia. It stands up to the best focaccia I have tasted in my travels to Bari.
1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, yeast, sugar, and salt and mix well. Slowly add the water and mix with your hands, breaking up any lumps. When the dough is smooth (it should be almost runny), cover it with a towel, wrap the bowl in a warm blanket, and let the dough rise in a warm spot for at least 1½ hours. The dough should double in size and have bubbles at the end of the rising. If you want a thicker focaccia, let the dough rise for an additional ½ hour.
2. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Generously brush the bottom and sides of a large baking pan with olive oil, leaving no dry spots.
3. Spoon the focaccia dough into the pan and spread evenly. Spread the canned tomatoes on the surface of the dough and sprinkle with oregano and capers (and olives, if desired). Sprinkle with sea salt and drizzle with a little olive oil.
4. Bake for 45 minutes.
For a crunchier focaccia, use 1¾ cup (400 g) all-purpose flour and ½ cup (100 g) semolina (durum wheat) flour.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on 1/4 teaspoon added salt, for sprinkling.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.