Join or Renew and Choose Your Gift
- Offer ends Dec. 17
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Buy a thick focaccia at your bakery and use it to make these Italian-style vegetarian sandwiches.
1. Preheat the broiler. Line the broiler pan with aluminum foil. Grill the peppers, turning occasionally, until their skins are blackened and blistered. Leave the broiler on.
2. Wrap the foil around the peppers, folding over the edges to make a tightly sealed parcel. Let cool.
3. Slice the focaccia in half vertically with a long serrated knife. Cut the focaccia into quarters. Toast in the broiler on both sides. Spread the cut sides with the sun-dried tomato paste.
4. Line the broiler pan again with foil. Place the tomatoes on the pan, cut sides up, and drizzle with the olive oil. Season with the salt and pepper. Broil for about 5 minutes, or until the tomatoes have softened but are not falling apart.
5. Meanwhile, peel and seed the peppers, and cut the flesh into thick strips. Arrange the tomato halves and pepper slices on the focaccia bottoms. Top with the mozzarella and a few basil leaves, whole or torn, and drizzle over any oil and juices from the broiler pan. Place the remaining focaccia halves on top and serve immediately.
Time saver: If you are short on time, use roasted peppers from the delicatessen instead of grilling your own.
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon salt per serving.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members can download new coupon offers available monthly from Kellogg's.
Members can get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members save 20% on Wednesdays when dining at Carrabba's Italian Grill.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today