Join for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
This lovely soup accentuates the essence of fresh corn and red peppers.
1. Put the chicken broth, white wine, and corn in a heavy non-aluminum pot. Bring the liquid to a boil and skim the surface to remove any impurities. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 25 to 30 minutes. Using a pair of tongs, remove the corn and set aside to cool.
2. While the corn is cooking, preheat the broiler and arrange the peppers on a cookie sheet. Place about 3 inches under the broiler and broil, turning them occasionally, until their skins char and blister on all sides. Remove and place them in a paper bag, closing the bag. After 15 minutes, using a paring knife, peel away the skin. Cut open the peppers; core and seed them.
3. Cut the kernels from the corn cobs (there should be about 3 cups) and puree with some of the chicken broth in a blender or a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Add the corn puree to the chicken broth and season with salt and pepper. Heat until hot over medium heat.
4. In a blender or a food processor fitted with a steel blade, puree the peppers until smooth and foamy, about 5 minutes. Add salt, pepper, and wine vinegar to taste.
5. When the corn soup is piping hot, ladle it into soup bowls. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the pepper puree on top of each serving. Using the tip of a knife, make points at equal intervals drawing out points like a star. Sprinkle the top with the scallion greens, if using them, and serve.
Corn is particularly beneficial for the kidneys, and a tea made from brewing 1 cup dried kernels with 2 cups water is prescribed for kidney disease.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members receive 20% off from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. at participating Denny’s locations.
Members save 10% on Mondays and 10% on Weekend Lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members can save 10% every day at Landry's Restaurants, Inc.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today