Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
My village butcher, Franck Peyraud, has the most delicious chorizo, nice and spicy and not overly fatty. This dish—with a healthy dose of red and green peppers and the deep red sausage—makes me think of trips over the border into Catalan country in Spain.
1. Generously season the chicken on all sides with salt and pepper.
2. In the skillet, combine the butter and oil over moderate heat. When the fats are hot but not smoking, add the chicken skin side down, and brown until the poultry turns an even golden color, about 5 minutes. Using tongs (to avoid piercing the poultry), turn the pieces and brown them on the other side, 5 minutes more. Carefully regulate the heat to avoid scorching the skin. This may have to be done in batches. When all the pieces are browned, transfer them to a platter. Season once again with salt and pepper.
3. Place the onions and garlic in the fat in the skillet and sweat—cook, covered, over low heat until soft but not browned—for about 3 minutes. Return the chicken and any cooking juices to the pan. Add the stock, tomatoes, and tomato paste. Cover, and cook over low heat, turning the chicken in the sauce once or twice, until the chicken is cooked through and has thoroughly absorbed the sauce, about 20 minutes. Add the peppers and chorizo, Cover and cook over low heat just until the peppers are soft, about 10 minutes more. Taste for seasoning. Serve with rice or fresh pasta.
Wine Suggestion: This dish deserves a robust red: I enjoy something from the Languedoc, Roussillon area, such as a Corbières from Château les Palais, a blend of Grenache, Carignan, and Syrah grapes, with overtones of blackberries, jam, and bitter almonds.
Château Les Palais
Telephone: 04 68 44 01 63
Tastings Monday to Friday, 9 a.m, to noon and 2 to 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday by appointment only.
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings, using a 3 pound chicken, and includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving. Nutritional information does not include homemade chicken stock. For nutritional information on homemade chicken stock, please see the link above.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.