Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
Recipe by: Marie Simmons | from The Amazing World of Rice: With 150 Recipes for Pilafs, Paellas, Puddings, and MoreCookstr
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
Oyster mushrooms, also called pleurotes, are a delicate lacy-capped mushroom the color of alabaster. If snow peas aren’t available, substitute thawed frozen green peas. If your market doesn’t stock black sesame seeds (available where Asian products are sold), substitute white sesame seeds, lightly toasted, or natural brown sesame seeds.
1. Break the eggs into a small bowl; add ½ teaspoon each sesame oil and tamari. Beat gently with a fork or chopstick just to combine. Set aside.
2. Heat a wok or large skillet, preferably nonstick, over high heat until hot enough to sizzle a drop of water upon contact. Add the peanut oil and a pinch of the scallion whites. When the scallions sizzle, add the remaining scallion whites; fry for 20 seconds, stirring with a flat wooden spatula or spoon. Add the ginger and the garlic; stir-fry for 10 seconds. Stir in the snow peas; cook for 20 seconds. Stir in the mushrooms; cook for 20 seconds.
3. Add the rice; break up any clumps with the edge of the spatula mixing in the other ingredients. Press the rice against the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon tamari and 1 teaspoon sesame oil. Continue heating the rice, lifting up sections with the spatula, and turning, pressing, and hacking at it with the side of the spatula, until all the ingredients are evenly mixed and coated with the seasonings, about 1 minute.
4. Push the rice to one side or up the sides of the pan to make an open space. Add the eggs and fry until partially set, about 30 seconds. Stir into the rice until blended.
5. Sprinkle the fried rice with the scallion greens and sesame seeds. Spoon into a serving dish and serve at once. Let each person season the rice with extra tamari and sesame oil to taste.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on 8 servings.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.