Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph DeLeo
1. Pick through the lentils to remove any dirt, stones, or damaged legumes, then wash and drain. Set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a large, heavy kettle such as a cast-iron Dutch oven. Add the onion, bay leaves, and rosemary, and saute over medium-low heat for 10 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 10 minutes more.
3. Place the lentils, water, and vinegar in the pot with the onions and garlic, and cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 40 minutes, or until the lentils are tender.
4. Add the tamari and simmer slowly, stirring occasionally, about 20-30 minutes more, or until the broth becomes rich and thick. If it becomes too thick, add more water.
5. Before serving, add the cayenne pepper. Enjoy with fresh whole-grain bread and a salad.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)