Join or Renew and Choose Your Gift
- Offer ends Dec. 17
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
The natural sweetness of carrots spiked with orange, ginger, and a whisper of nutmeg makes this soup beautifully delicious. The carrots give the soup a rich, full-bodied texture, as well as a big helping of health-enhancing antioxidants and vitamin A. Whether you enjoy this soup hot or cold, the intense carrot flavor and brilliant orange color will make it memorable.
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and ginger and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the carrots, stock, and orange juice. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan, and let simmer until the carrots are very tender, about 45 minutes.
3. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup in the saucepan. (Or, let the soup cool slightly, then puree it in a blender or food processor.) If you prefer a smoother texture, strain the pureed soup through a sieve.
4. Add the nutmeg to the soup and season it with salt and pepper to taste. If the soup is too thick, thin it with some water or more stock.
5. To serve the soup warm, reheat it gently over medium-low heat. To serve the soup chilled, refrigerate it, covered, until cold, at least 6 hours or up to 5 days. Garnish the soup with a spoonful of crème fraîche and a light sprinkle of nutmeg before serving. If desired, you can create a swirl pattern in the soup by dragging the tip of a knife or fork through the crème fraîche in a circular motion.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving, but does not include Shiitake Vegetable Broth or Homemade Creme Fraiche. For nutritional information on Shittake Vegetable Broth or Homemade Creme Fraiche, please follow the links above.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members can download new coupon offers available monthly from Kellogg's.
Members can get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members save 20% on Wednesdays when dining at Carrabba's Italian Grill.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today