Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: The Meal Makeover Moms
For the past (uh-hum) 20 years, Janice has been part of a neighborhood holiday cookie swap. Her best pal, Mary, always bakes gingersnap cookies, and they’re the first cookies Janice’s girls look for when she brings home her holiday bounty. To health-ify Mary’s “famous” recipe, we swap half the white flour with whole wheat, use canola oil in place of (gasp!) shortening, add some ground flaxseed, and create a simple sugar glaze. These cookies are great for the holidays—or for any time of the year. Just don’t tell Mary our secret.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly oil or coat two large baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray and set aside. Whisk together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, flaxseed, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl.
2. Combine the sugar and oil in a large bowl and beat on medium speed until well blended, 1 minute. Add the egg and molasses and continue to beat until smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl if necessary. At low speed, gradually beat in the flour mixture until just combined.
3. With your hands, roll the dough into 1¼-inch balls and place on the prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart.
4. Bake, 1 sheet at a time, 10 to 12 minutes, or until the cookies are golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring the cookies to a wire rack. Repeat with the remaining dough.
5. To make the glaze, place the powdered sugar and milk in a bowl and stir until well combined. If the glaze is too thick, add a few drops of milk as needed. Drizzle over each cookie in a lattice or squiggle design.
I loved the added nutrition of the flaxseed and molasses. Kaila told our guests that these yummy cookies were very healthy “because they have flaxseed.”
Heather, mother of Kaila, age 40 Honolulu, HI
Per Serving (1 cookie):
90 calories, 3.5g fat (0g saturated, 0.3g omega-3), 105mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 1g protein
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members save 15% Mon-Thurs & during weekend lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members save 10% every day when dining at McCormick and Schmick's.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today