Join for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Colin Erricson
I love the combination of ginger and pears in this light but delicious dessert. Sprinkle with toasted almonds and top with a dollop of vanilla yogurt for a perfect finish to a substantial meal.
1. In a pot, combine boiling water and green tea leaves. Cover and let steep for 5 minutes. Strain through a fine sieve into slow cooker stoneware.
2. Add gingerroot, honey, almond extract and lemon zest and stir well. Add pears. Cover and cook on Low for 6 hours or on High for 3 hours, until pears are tender. Transfer to a serving bowl, cover and chill thoroughly. Serve garnished with toasted almonds and a dollop of yogurt, if using.
This dessert should be made early in the day or the night before so it can be well chilled before serving.
Works best in a small (3½ quart) slow cooker
I prefer a strong ginger taste in these pears, but some might feel it overpowers the taste of the pears. Vary the amount of ginger to suit your preference. When poaching, use firmer pears, such as Bosc, for best results.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information does not include optional Toasted sliced almonds or Low-fat vanilla yogurt.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members can get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin’ Donuts.
Members save 10% on Wednesdays when dining at Carrabba’s Italian Grill.
Members can download new coupon offers available monthly from Kellogg's.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today