Join or Renew and Choose Your Gift
- Offer ends Dec. 17
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
You’d have to go a long mile to find a cakier, more finely textured cornbread than this one. The creamed corn has something to do with it, of course.
1. Preheat the oven to 450°.
2. Pour 2 tablespoons of the melted butter into a 9-inch cake pan, and bake for 5 minutes, until the cake pan is very hot.
3. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center of this mixture, and pour the creamed corn, milk, remaining 2 tablespoons butter, and egg into the well. Stir until smooth. Pour the batter into the hot cake pan.
4. Bake until the cornbread is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Remove the cornbread from the oven, and let it stand for 15 minutes before serving.
“The ancestor to our cornbread was the humble corn pone: an Indian concoction of water, salt, and cornmeal that was mixed together, put on a makeshift griddle, and thrust over an open fire.
Cornbread was a ubiquitous fixture of the meals of my early childhood. My mother didn’t like to cook, so I usually had the packaged mix variety. But there are those who can coax delicious and varied melodies from this unassuming dinner accompaniment.”
Sheila Johnson’s recipe comes from her great-grandmother, who usually served cornbread when they had fish for supper.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
This recipe serves 8.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members can download new coupon offers available monthly from Kellogg's.
Members can get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members save 20% on Wednesdays when dining at Carrabba's Italian Grill.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today