Join for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Members receive a Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage
Thanks to the veterans who served our country
Let us know how the new health care law helps you
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
Radicchio, the beautiful moon-shaped maroon lettuce from the chicory family, starts out with a bitter edge when raw. But after a short stint in the sauté pan, it sweetens and adds its graceful note of flavor to tender, supple green beans.
1. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil over high heat. Snap off ends of beans. Core radicchio and finely slice. Blanch beans in water until just tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain well and reserve pan.
2. Return pan to medium heat and add butter. When melted, stir in radicchio and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until lettuce is lightly wilted, about 3 minutes.
3. Reduce heat to low and stir in beans. Cook, stirring occasionally, until beans are very tender, about 2 minutes. Season with lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.
There are a number of varieties of radicchio grown in Italy. Another we get here looks like a head of burgundy-colored Romaine lettuce. Use it just like the more familiar round one.
Nutritional information does not include salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members receive 20% off from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. at participating Denny’s locations.
Members save 10% on Mondays and 10% on Weekend Lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members can save 10% every day at Landry's Restaurants, Inc.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today