For the Baste:
Combine all ingredients in a foil pan or heatproof pan and warm on the side of the grill.
1. If cooking salmon steaks, use a toothpick to secure the belly portion of each one.
2. Season the fish with salt and pepper. Glisten with canola oil.
3. Approximately 14 minutes. Preheat the BBQ to Medium-High. Set a griddle on the grill, add the butter, and let it melt.
4. Add the fish and cook, turning once or twice, for approximately 4 minutes to set the protein.
5. Meanwhile, cook the thyme, rosemary and crushed garlic cloves briefly on the griddle, about 1 minute.
6. Divide the herbs among the fish steaks and place a crushed garlic clove on top of each one.
7. Transfer the fish to the grill, keeping the herbs and garlic on top, and cook, turning frequently, always placing the thyme and garlic back on top, for 4 to 5 minutes on each side.
8. As the fish cooks, baste it lightly to keep it moist.
9. When the fish is done, it should be thoroughly opaque and flaking slightly; it will also be easily pulled away from the bone with the tip of a paring knife.
10. Serve, pouring the remainder of the baste on top of the fish.