Join or Renew and Choose Your Gift
- Offer ends Dec. 17
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
This is a takeoff of sorts on the Hawaiian luau salmon preparation called lomi lomi, The difference is that in this preparation, the salmon is not salt-cured, but instead is half cooked on the grill before cooking is completed by the acidity of the lime juice.
This dish illustrates my observation that the natural cuisine of Hawaii is unique among tropical cuisines in its absence of spicy ingredients and preparations. Serve it chilled as a first course on a bed of thinly sliced cabbage with pineapple slices and lime wedges.
1. Skin the salmon and, if you have bought one fillet, cut it into 2 pieces. Brush the tops with vegetable oil, sprinkle them with salt and pepper to taste, and place the salmon top down (the side you skinned up) on a very hot grill. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until brown and crusty.
2. Remove the salmon from the grill. It should be well cooked on one side, but still raw on the other. Allow it to cool to room temperature.
3. Meanwhile, combine all the other ingredients except the tomato in a large mixing bowl and mix well.
4. When the salmon is cool, break it into bite-size pieces and add them to the lime juice mixture, cooked-side up. Stir lightly to make sure that all the pieces are well coated, then cover tightly and refrigerate for 4 to 5 hours.
5. Remove the bowl from the refrigerator and add the chopped tomatoes. You can serve this chilled or at room temperature.
Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members can download new coupon offers available monthly from Kellogg's.
Members can get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members save 20% on Wednesdays when dining at Carrabba's Italian Grill.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today