Join or Renew and Choose Your Gift
- Offer ends Dec. 17
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
I first tasted pineapple and cilantro in a salsa in San Bias, on the west coast of Mexico, which possesses some of the best shrimp I ever ate, as well as the longest rideable wave in Mexico. Taking breathers from many hours in the water, we would come up to a palapa (a beachfront stand) to eat bowlfuls of shrimp and drink beer.
You can serve the shrimp in a heap with piles of chopped onion and thinly sliced cabbage. You have to have fresh, soft tortillas and just slap them on the grill for a second to warm them up.
1. Peel and devein the shrimp and remove their tails.
2. Thread the shrimp on skewers, salt and pepper them to taste, and grill over medium heat, 3 to 4 minutes per side, until they are opaque.
3. Remove the shrimp from the skewers and chop each shrimp into 3 or 4 pieces. Set aside.
4. Make the salsa: Dice the pineapple, red pepper, and red onion. Add the pureed ancho chile peppers, and mix together in a medium bowl with the oregano, cumin, and lime and pineapple juices.
5. Warm the tortillas slightly on the grill.
6. Put the shrimp, salsa, and tortillas out on a table, along with the shredded cabbage, sour cream, and jalapeños as garnishes, and let people make their own rolled tortillas.
This is one of your basic guest participation dishes, calling for folks to create according to their own taste.
Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members can download new coupon offers available monthly from Kellogg's.
Members can get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members save 20% on Wednesdays when dining at Carrabba's Italian Grill.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today