Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Mark Shapiro
This recipe was inspired by my dear friend and colleague Itza Gutierrez, who loves the combination of avocado and alfalfa sprouts. Add melted Swiss cheese, and you have one incredible sandwich.
Preheat panini grill to high.
1. Brush one side of each bread slice with butter. Place two slices on a work surface, buttered side down, and spread with mustard. Evenly layer with cheese, ham, turkey, avocado and sprouts. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover with top halves, buttered side up, and press gently to pack.
2. Place sandwiches in grill, close the top plate and cook until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve immediately.
Variation: This sandwich can quickly go vegetarian if you omit the ham and turkey. Add a thin slice of firm tofu for protein.
Avocado and alfalfa sprouts are a wonderful combination on many savory dishes and add so much to a simple sandwich or salad.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members save 15% Mon-Thurs & during weekend lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members save 10% every day when dining at McCormick and Schmick's.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today