Join or Renew and Choose Your Gift
- Offer ends Dec. 17
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
This is the classic sauce for accompanying a holiday turkey. Our version is loaded with oranges-fresh orange juice, orange zest, and thin strips of orange rind-candied ginger strips, and crunchy nuts. We also love to serve this sauce over pound cakes and butter cakes, as a dip for butter cookies, spread on morning toast and muffins and pancakes, or in a cranberry-cheddar sandwich. Of course the ultimate use is on a leftover turkey sandwich with stuffing and crunchy lettuce on toasted white or whole-wheat bread.
1. Combine the sugar and 2 cups of water in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the sugar syrup begins to thicken slightly and turns a pale amber color.
2. Add the maple syrup and cranberries and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cranberries begin to pop.
3. Add the orange juice, rind, and zest and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes, or until the sauce begins to thicken slightly.
4. Remove the sauce from the heat and add the nuts and ginger, stirring well. Let cool completely.
5. Pour into a clean glass jar and cover; refrigerate for up to 1 week, or freeze for 6 months.
You’ll need 2 or 3 large oranges. First, use 1 orange to remove the rind (the outer peel without the bitter white pith) by slicing it off with a small, sharp knife or a wide vegetable peeler. Use another orange to grate the rind for zest and then squeeze both oranges for their juice.
Candied or crystallized ginger is available in the specialty food section of most supermarkets or at chocolate or candy shops.
Nutritional information is based on 18 servings.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members can download new coupon offers available monthly from Kellogg's.
Members can get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members save 20% on Wednesdays when dining at Carrabba's Italian Grill.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today