Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
Sometimes I buy a chicken just to make stock—then, of course, I also have some poached chicken left over for lunchtime! My freezer is always stocked with containers of homemade stock, which I use in soups, sauces, and sometimes “as is” as a nice midday pick-me-up.
1. Place the chicken pieces in the stockpot and cover with cold water by at least 2 inches. Bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat. Skim to remove the scum that rises to the surface. Add additional cold water to replace the water removed and continue skimming until the broth is clear.
2. Add the salt, vegetables, and bouquet garni. Return the liquid to a gentle simmer and simmer gently for 2 hours. Skim and degrease as necessary.
3. Line the colander with a double layer of dampened cheesecloth and place the colander over a large bowl. Ladle the broth into the colander; discard the solids.
4. Refrigerate the stock, and spoon off all traces of fat that rise to the surface. The stock may be safely refrigerated for 3 or 4 days, or can be frozen for up to 6 months.
Nutritional information is based on 16 servings.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.