Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Mark Shapiro
Hot cereal is one of my favorite ways to begin the day, and happily you can use your slow cooker to ensure that all family members get off to a nutritious start. Cook the cereal overnight and turn the slow cooker to Warm in the morning. Everyone can help themselves according to their schedules.
Hot Multigrain Cereal:
1. In prepared slow cooker stoneware, combine cereal, salt, water and apples. Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours or overnight. Just before serving, place raisins, if using, in a microwave-safe bowl and cover with water. Microwave for 20 seconds to soften. Add to hot cereal. Stir well and serve.
1. In prepared slow cooker stoneware, combine oats, salt and water. Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours or overnight. Stir well and serve.
These recipes work best in a small (maximum 3½ quart) well-greased slow cooker.
Multigrain cereals are one way of ensuring that you maximize the nutritional benefits of cereal grains. You can buy them pre-packaged, usually in 3, 5 or 7-grain combinations or under a brand name, or you can make your own by combining your favorite grains. Store multigrain cereal in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
Rolled oats, often called porridge when cooked, are probably the most popular breakfast cereal. For variety, try the variations called steel-cut oats, Irish oatmeal or Scotch oats, which have an appealing chewy texture.
Nutritional information is for Hot Multigrain Cereal and includes 1/4 cup of optional raisins.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members save 15% Mon-Thurs & during weekend lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members save 10% every day when dining at McCormick and Schmick's.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today