Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Curling up with a good book and a cup of hot cider on a chilly afternoon is the kind of activity that makes cold weather (almost) welcome. This version is spicier than most and will really warm you to the bone.
1. Rinse and squeeze out a 12-inch square of cheesecloth. Wrap the ginger, star anise, cinnamon, cloves, fennel seed, and Sichuan peppercorns in the cheesecloth. Using a piece of kitchen twine, tie it into a packet.
2. Pour the cider in a large nonreactive saucepan and add the spice bundle. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally.
3. Ladle the cider into warmed mugs. Add a dry cinnamon stick to each mug, and spike with Calvados. Top each with a pat of butter. Serve hot.
Nutritional information does not include the Calvados or applejack, for serving.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members save 15% Mon-Thurs & during weekend lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members save 10% every day when dining at McCormick and Schmick's.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today