Join for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Members receive a Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage
Thanks to the veterans who served our country
Let us know how the new health care law helps you
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
This chickpea bean and tahini dip is one of the most widely recognized of all Middle Eastern dishes.
1. Drain the chickpeas, reserving about 5 tbsp of the canning liquid in a small bowl. Carefully rinse the chickpeas under cold running water. Drain well and transfer to a food processor or a blender along with half of the reserved canning liquid.
2. Add the lemon juice, tahini, and garlic and blend until smooth and creamy, adding a little more of the canning liquid as needed.
3. Season to taste with salt. Transfer the hummus to a small serving bowl, sprinkle with paprika, and serve at room temperature.
Red Pepper Hummus: Position a broiler rack about 6in (15cm) from the source of heat and preheat the broiler. Cut in half lengthwise and seed a small red pepper. Grill, skin side up, until lightly charred. Cool, peel, and roughly chop the pepper. Add to the blender along with the chickpeas. If the pepper is juicy, add less canning liquid. Add 1 tsp ground cumin for a spicier flavor.
Good with warm pita bread and sticks of carrot, cucumber, and sweet pepper. For a traditional finish, drizzle with olive oil in addition to the paprika garnish.
Prepare ahead: Make the dip up to 24 hours in advance. Store in the refrigerator, covered with plastic wrap. Remove the hummus from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before serving.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members receive 20% off from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. at participating Denny’s locations.
Members save 10% on Mondays and 10% on Weekend Lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members can save 10% every day at Landry's Restaurants, Inc.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today