Join for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
This is one of the most cherished and controversial recipes in my family. The original recipe comes from a small book of recipes that my Polish grandmother recorded for my grandfather so that he could cook easy and hearty food when he was off on sporting trips with other male friends. My father whispers that my mother’s version doesn’t taste like his mother’s; my mother fumes silently, and I yearn to create the perfect rendition of Hungarian Chicken and thereby restore family harmony. Hopefully, this recipe rests a mere notch below memories of my grandmother’s mastery.
1. In a large skillet fry the salt pork over medium-high heat until lightly browned and crisp, 7 to 10 minutes.
2. Add the onions and bell pepper to the salt pork and sauté until the onion is soft and lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the paprika and tomato paste. When the mixture is bright red, stir in the chicken broth and celery leaves.
3. Add the chicken to the skillet, cover, and simmer slowly over medium-low heat, basting the meat occasionally with the vegetable mixture. After 30 minutes, turn the chicken pieces over, cover again, and simmer until the chicken is very tender, about 45 minutes more.
4. Using a large slotted spoon, remove the chicken from the skillet and keep warm. Whisk together the flour and sour cream until smooth, then slowly whisk it into the pan juices and vegetables. Heat through but do not boil, stirring constantly. Season to taste with salt.
5. Return the chicken to the skillet and coat with the sauce. Serve over wide egg noodles, rice, or spaetzle.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
This recipe serves 10. Nutritional information is based on 1 teaspoon of added salt.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members receive 20% off from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. at participating Denny’s locations.
Members save 10% on Mondays and 10% on Weekend Lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members can save 10% every day at Landry's Restaurants, Inc.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today