Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
This one-pot meal captures the spicy flavors of Louisiana.
1. Heat 2 tbsp of the bacon fat in a large flameproof casserole over high heat. In batches, add the chicken. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, or until the chicken is browned and opaque throughout. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken to a plate.
2. Add the remaining bacon fat to the casserole and heat. Add the andouille and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until browned. Remove the andouille with a slotted spoon and set aside with the chicken.
3. Add the onion, peppers, celery, garlic, and chile to the casserole. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add the rice and cook, stirring often, for about 3 minutes. Add the tomato paste and stir for another minute.
4. Return the chicken and sausage to the casserole. Add the thyme, salt, paprika, cayenne, bay leaves, sugar, and pepper. Pour in the stock, the tomatoes with their juice, and the Worcestershire sauce. Bring to the boil over medium-high heat, stirring often. Reduce the heat to low and cover. Simmer for 12–15 minutes, or until the peppers are tender.
5. Add the shrimp and simmer, still covered, for 3-5 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the shrimp are pink (the jambalaya should be a little soupy). Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with parsley. Serve hot, with a bottle of hot pepper sauce alongside.
Good with cold beer to quell the spiciness.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members save 15% Mon-Thurs & during weekend lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members save 10% every day when dining at McCormick and Schmick's.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today