Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
Kasha, also called buckwheat groats, is a healthy and delicious whole grain cereal that can be prepared in a manner similar to risotto to make a hearty vegetarian main course.
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, mushrooms, celery, and garlic, and cook, stirring often, for 8–10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Add the kasha and cook, stirring often, for 2–3 minutes more. Add the wine and stir until it has been absorbed.
2. Stir in ½ cup hot vegetable stock and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer, stirring, until the stock is absorbed. Stir in another ½ cup of stock and repeat. Continue cooking and adding more stock for about 20 minutes, or until the kasha is tender but still a bit chewy.
3. Stir in the beet and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle with cheese and parsley. Serve hot.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.