Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
Here’s an updated version of the traditional “fool” —an old-fashioned dessert with fruit or berries folded into whipped cream or custard. This dessert is ideal for entertaining since it can be assembled earlier in the day.
1. In a small saucepan, combine cornstarch with water; whisk until smooth. Add sugar, lemon zest, juice and egg yolks; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture comes to a full boil; cook for 15 seconds. Remove from heat and pour into a large bowl. Let cool slightly. Cover surface with plastic wrap; refrigerate for 2 hours or until chilled. (Recipe can be prepared to this point up to 1 day ahead.)
2. Whisk lemon mixture until smooth. Whisk in yogurt.
3. In bowl, using electric mixer, beat cream until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into lemon-yogurt mixture.
4. Arrange half the berries in six parfait or large wine glasses. Top with half the lemon fool; layer with remaining berries and lemon fool. (Recipe can be prepared to this point and refrigerated for up to 4 hours.) To serve, garnish with whole berries, mint sprigs and grated lemon zest.
Whipped cream is a delicious traditional ingredient in many desserts, but it is high in fat, so combine small amounts with lower-fat ingredients such as the fresh fruit and low-fat yogurt in this recipe.
Instead of individual serving dishes, layer berries and lemon fool in a 6-cup (1.5L) deep glass serving bowl.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members save 15% Mon-Thurs & during weekend lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members save 10% every day when dining at McCormick and Schmick's.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today