This hearty vegetarian soup has just a touch of spice certain to warm you up. Good with a spoonful of plain yogurt and crusty bread.
Yield: 4–6 servings
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1–2 tsp curry powder
- 5½ cups vegetable stock
- ¾ cup red lentils
- ½ cup tomato or multi-vegetable juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan set over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, and carrots. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes, or until the onions are translucent.
2. Add the garlic and curry powder and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Add the stock, lentils, and tomato juice.
3. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover. Simmer for 25 minutes, or until the lentils are tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve hot.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Nutritional Benefits: low fat