Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
These pungently spiced preserved limes will enhance curries or pilafs, are wonderful with fish or chicken, and are easy to make.
1. Heat the oil in a saucepan until very hot but not smoking. Remove from the heat and set aside to let cool completely.
2. Coarsely crush the cumin seeds, peppercorns, and coriander seeds with a mortar and pestle. Mix in the hot pepper.
3. Put the limes in a shallow bowl and sprinkle with the ground spices. Add the salt, garlic, ginger, cloves, and bay leaves and stir well. Let stand for 30 minutes.
4. Have ready two hot, sterilized, 1qt (1 liter) glass canning jars with lids. Divide the limes among the jars and add cooled oil to cover. Cover each jar with cheesecloth. Place in a sunny place (or near a warm stove); let stand for 6 days, stirring each day.
5. Cover each jar with its lid. Store in a cool, dark place for at least 4 weeks to develop the flavors and soften the rinds. The pickle can be stored up to 6 months, although the color may change. Refrigerate after opening.
You can make similar pickles using lemons or oranges instead of limes.
The pickle must be made at least 4 weeks before serving.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on 20 servings.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.