Join for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Members can print a free Rx discount card
Thanks to the veterans who served our country
Ever had trouble paying for
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Versions of this popular classic shellfish dish of thin linguine and clams are cooked all along the Italian Mediterranean and Adriatic coasts. Good with crusty Italian bread.
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes, or until softened. Add the garlic and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes with their juices, clam juices, wine, and tomato paste. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, partially cover the pan and simmer for 10–15 minutes, until the sauce thickens, stirring occasionally.
2. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Stir in the linguine, and cook according to the package directions, or until al dente. Drain the pasta, and shake to remove any excess water.
3. When the pasta is almost done, add the clams and chopped parsley to the tomato sauce and continue to simmer for 1–2 minutes, until heated through. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Add the linguine to the sauce, and toss to combine all the ingredients, so the clams are well distributed throughout the pasta. Sprinkle with extra parsley and serve at once.
The tomato sauce in step 1 can be made in advance and reheated before adding the clams and parsley in step 3.
Canned clams: These are a great staple, but you could, of course, use 3 dozen fresh littleneck clams, well scrubbed. Add them to the tomato sauce in step 3, cover and simmer, shaking the pan occasionally, about 5 minutes, until the shells open. (You will not have clam juices for step 1.)
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members receive 20% off from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. at participating Denny’s locations.
Members save 10% on Mondays and 10% on Weekend Lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members can save 10% every day at Landry's Restaurants, Inc.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today