Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
This sauce is known to most people as Apple City Barbecue Sauce. It won Mike Mills three Grand Championships at Memphis in May and more accolades and trophies than you can count. During a recent trip to Murphysboro, Illinois, Mike took me to see a few “antiques” in his attic. As soon as I got out of the elevator, I saw more trophies than I had ever seen, literally hundreds of them. And these are the trophies that he doesn’t display; he has hundreds more decorating his seven restaurants in southern Illinois, St. Louis, and Las Vegas! And best of all: The trophies were won in three years’ time!
Mike got the recipe for the sauce from his mother, Mama Faye, who made it from scratch for his restaurant and his competitions until the day she went to the big barbecue contest in the sky. I thought it was time she got her rightful praise.
1. In a large saucepan, combine the ketchup, rice vinegar, apple juice, cider vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, mustard, garlic powder, white pepper, cayenne, and bacon bits. Bring to a full boil over medium-high heat.
2. Stir in the apple, onion, and bell pepper. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes or until it reduces slightly. Stir it often. If you want a thicker sauce, reduce for a longer time.
3. Let cool, then pour into clean glass bottles. The sauce will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
4. Brush it on food 5 to 15 minutes before the cooking time is finished. If desired, serve extra sauce on the side.
Good for Slathering: Ribs, pork, chicken, steak, shrimp
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on 20 servings.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.