Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
I’ve sustained so many little knife nicks trying to split recalcitrant acorn squash in half that I now bake them whole. After baking, I halve them, scoop out the seeds, and season with butter, maple syrup, or honey and a dash of cinnamon. Although they take longer to cook this way, I no longer cut myself and, at the same time, I preserve more of their flavor.
By the way, don’t be alarmed by slight popping sounds you’ll hear from the oven. It’s simply the steam building up in the squash and then escaping. Rest assured that if you’ve pricked your squashes before baking, they won’t explode.
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Scrub the squash, place them on a baking sheet, and prick each one in several places with a sharp knife.
3. Bake until tender, about 1 hour.
4. Remove the squash from the oven, cut them in half (use a towel to hold them), and scoop out the seeds. Season each cavity with salt and pepper, butter if you wish, a teaspoon of the sweetener of your choice, and a sprinkling of spice.
Squash: You can cook twice as many squash and have lovely vegetable leftovers to stir into a soup or stew or to reheat in a stir-fry. You also can reheat any seeded and seasoned squarh halves, covered with foil, in a 350°F degree oven until heated through, about 20 minutes.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information is based on 1/4 teaspoon added salt, and does include optional butter.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.