Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Preserving the bounty of the harvest is the habit of all great food cultures, starting as necessity and blossoming into artisanal craft-work as the society becomes richer and more food savvy. This recipe comes from Campania, and it represents their faves of late-summer garden riches.
1. Sprinkle the eggplant and zucchini slices with the salt and arrange on a baking sheet in a single layer. Cover with a second baking sheet, weight the sheet with cans or other heavy weights, and let sit for 2 hours.
2. Preheat the grill or broiler.
3. Pat the eggplant and zucchini slices dry with paper towels and brush them on both sides with olive oil. Place on the grill or on a baking sheet under the broiler and cook, turning once, for 5 minutes on each side, or until dark golden brown. Transfer to a bowl and cover to keep warm. Brush the pepper wedges with olive oil, place skin side down on the grill or skin side up on the baking sheet, and cook until blackened and blistered, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to the bowl and cover again.
4. In a small bowl, combine the 1/4 cup olive oil, the vinegar, garlic, olives, anchovies, and oregano and mix well. Pour the mixture over the hot vegetables and immediately cover with aluminum foil. Set aside at room temperature to marinate overnight before serving.
To store, pack the vegetables tightly into a widemouth jar and cover with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate; they should keep for several weeks in the fridge if you can keep your hands out of the jar. Serve at room temperature.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information includes an additional 1/4 cup of olive oil for brushing the vegetables.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members save 15% Mon-Thurs & during weekend lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members save 10% every day when dining at McCormick and Schmick's.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today