Join for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Members receive a Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage
Thanks to the veterans who served our country
Let us know how the new health care law helps you
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Simple mashed sweet potatoes are a nourishing side dish in their own right and a nice alternative to mashed white potatoes. For older kids with developing taste buds as well as adults, the tasty topping makes this side dish even more appealing. Serve this to dress up simple meals of veggie burgers, sandwiches, or wraps. This is also an excellent side dish for bean burgers.
1. Bake or microwave the sweet potatoes until tender. When the sweet potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel and cut into large chunks and place them in a serving bowl.
2. Mash well, then stir in the margarine and milk (heat briefly in the microwave if the potatoes are no longer hot enough to melt the margarine). Add the nutmeg and season with salt and pepper. Cover and set aside.
3. Heat the oil in a skillet. Add the leeks, then cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 7 minutes. Stir in the peas, ginger, and walnuts. Continue to saute just until everything is well heated through. Remove from the heat and transfer to a serving container.
4. Serve the sweet potatoes plain to anyone who wants them that way, and pass the leek mixture as a topping to embellish individual portions.
Nutritional information is provided by the author.
Dairy (with topping)
Total fat: 12 g
Protein: 6 g
Fiber: 5 g
Carbohydrates: 32 g
Cholesterol: 1 g
Sodium: 46 mg///
Vegan option (with topping)
Total fat: 11 g
Protein: 5 g
Fiber: 5.5 g
Carbohydrates: 33 g
Cholesterol: 0 g
Sodium: 43 mg
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members receive 20% off from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. at participating Denny’s locations.
Members save 10% on Mondays and 10% on Weekend Lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members can save 10% every day at Landry's Restaurants, Inc.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today