Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Popular in coastal regions all over southern Europe, this is the way to enjoy these oily fish at their very best
1. Rinse the sardines inside and out and pat with paper towels. Insert a sprig of thyme inside each fish. Place them in a shallow nonmetallic dish. Grate the zest and squeeze the juice from 3 of the lemons. Whisk the lemon zest and juice, oil, cumin, and garlic together in a bowl. Pour over the sardines. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
2. Preheat the broiler. Transfer the sardines to an oiled broiler rack, reserving the mariande. Broil for 2-3 minutes on each side, basting with the marinade.
3. Thinly slice the remaining lemon. Transfer the sardines to a serving platter and serve immediately, garnished with the lemon wedges and more thyme sprigs.
Refrigerate the marinating fish for at least 2 and up to 12 hours before grilling.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)