Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
Pretty and fruity-tart, this salad is equally delicious as a first course or after a meal in lieu of a cheese course. You can use raw figs, but broiling them intensifies their flavor and adds an interesting smoky note. As a variation, try hazelnut or walnut oil in the dressing.
1. Cut the pomegranate into quarters. Remove the seeds from 3 pomegranate quarters and place them in a bowl, picking out and discarding any pieces of membrane. Working over a sieve, press the juice from the remaining pomegranate quarter into a second bowl. Whisk in the honey, lemon juice, vinegar, and shallots, then slowly whisk in the olive oil. Season the dressing generously with salt and pepper to taste and let stand while you prepare the figs.
2. Preheat the broiler.
3. Arrange the fig quarters, cut side up, on a broiler pan. Broil the figs until they look a little caramelized and lightly charred, about 5 minutes.
4. Place the broiled figs, pomegranate seeds, mesclun, and pine nuts in a bowl and gently toss to mix. Add enough dressing to lightly coat the mesclun and season the salad with salt and pepper to taste. Gently toss in the cheese and serve at once.
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings, 2 oz of blue cheese, and includes 3/4 teaspoon of added salt.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.