Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
Every country in the world must have its own favorite chicken soup, and this one represents the Mexican contingent. It’s chunky with corn and pieces of chicken, with a crunchy topping of crumbled tortillas on each serving—think of them as Mexican croutons.
Prep: Rinse chicken and pat dry. Chop onion into ½-inch dice.
1. Heat olive oil in soup pot over medium-high heat. Add chicken, skin side down, and cook until undersides are golden brown, about 5 minutes. Turn and brown the other side, about 5 minutes more. Transfer chicken to plate.
2. Pour out all but 1 tablespoon fat from pot. Return pot to stove and reduce heat to medium. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until onion softens, about 3 minutes. Return chicken to pot. Add tomatoes and chiles with juices, chicken broth, 1 cup water, corn, and oregano. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and partially cover pot. Simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 45 minutes.
3. Transfer chicken to cutting board. Cut meat into bite-size pieces, discarding skin and bones. Return meat to pot. Skim fat from surface of soup. Serve hot, topping each serving with a handful of tortilla chips.
Spice it up by adding a minced jalapeño and 2 minced garlic cloves to the pot with the onion.
Simple Tip for Mexican Chicken Soup with Tortillas
I am never without a bag of frozen yellow corn in the freezer. It is so easy to add the defrosted kernels to soups and casseroles (and even pasta, such as the All-American Carbonara with Corn, Bacon, and Jalapeño . To quickly defrost, measure out the corn and place it in a wire sieve. Rinse the corn under warm water for a minute or so. That’s it.
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings and does not include unsalted corn tortilla chips, for serving.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.