Join or Renew and Choose Your Gift
- Offer ends Dec. 17
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
This Mexican-style spoonbread pudding (budin is Spanish for “pudding”) can be served alongside any main dish, but it is hearty enough and rich enough in protein to serve as a vegetarian main course in itself. Thick, Mexican-style crème fraîche (crema, available in Mexican groceries) or sour cream or even whipped cream seasoned with salt and freshly ground black pepper are the most common traditional accompaniments; however, I think it’s knock-you-out good with a pleasantly warm green chile sauce, either homemade or commercial. (My favorite is a brand called 505 Southwestern Medium Hot Green Chile Sauce: www.505chile.com or 1-888-505-CHILE.)
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F. Spray an 8-by-11-inch baking pan (preferably glass) with oil, and set aside.
2. Place the corn in a food processor with the milk. Pulse-chop to make a slightly texture-y purée. Set aside.
3. Setting aside the egg whites, whisk the egg yolks in a large bowl until thickened. Beat in the sugar, then the salt, cornmeal, melted butter, and cheese. Stir well. Add the pulsed corn kernels. Sprinkle the baking powder over the mixture, and stir it in with a few quick strokes.
4. Beat the 3 reserved egg whites in a large bowl with the cream of tartar, if using, until the egg whites are stiff and glossy, but not dry. Gently fold them into the corn mixture, and transfer the mixture to the prepared pan. Immediately put it into the oven.
5. Let the budin bake for 10 minutes, then lower the heat to 350°F and continue baking until the top is deeply browned but still soft, 40 to 45 minutes more. Scoop the budin out of the pan to serve it.
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings as an accompaniment.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members can download new coupon offers available monthly from Kellogg's.
Members can get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members save 20% on Wednesdays when dining at Carrabba's Italian Grill.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today