Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
Photo by: Joseph DeLeo
Rice and beans at its best: cumin-scented, cilantro-spiked, colorful, healthful, quick, vegetarian, and only one pot to wash! Sprinkle with white cheddar or Monterey lack while it bakes if you want a richer dish.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Place the undrained tomatoes in a blender container. Blend until smooth. Transfer to a saucepan, adding enough water to blended mixture to equal 3 cups. Add bay leaf to saucepan. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
3. Heat oil in an ovenproof 2-quart saucepan until hot. Add onion, chile peppers, bell pepper, garlic, turmeric, and cumin. Cook and stir until the liquid has evaporated. Add rice, scraping the bottom with a large spatula to prevent burning. Add the tomato liquid and beans. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
4. Transfer saucepan to oven. Bake, covered, until rice is done, about 20 minutes. Remove bay leaf. Stir in cilantro.
Nutrition Facts per serving: 323 cal., 7 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 0 mg chol., 446 mg sodium, 55 g carbo., 10 g fiber, 11 g pro.
Daily Values: 59% vit. A, 137% vit. C, 12% calcium, 22% iron
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.