Join or Renew and Choose Your Gift
- Offer ends Dec. 17
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph DeLeo
In my kitchen the microwave oven is most often used for reheating leftovers, but I’ll admit that when it comes to steaming fish and veggies the microwave is fast and there’s only one bowl to clean, too! You can use this recipe to prepare whatever fish you find fresh in your market. Look for nice fillets that are about 1½ inches thick.
It couldn’t be easier to put this dish together. You slice the fish into strips, toss the vegetables on top, and drizzle a hoisin sauce doctored with soy sauce and rice vinegar over everything. Jasmine rice is a nice accompaniment to the fish and vegetables. You’ll need 4 cups cooked rice to go along with this dish.
1. Cut the fish into 1-inch wide strips and place these in a 2-quart microwave-safe dish. Scatter the sugar snap peas, mushroom, ginger, carrots, and scallions evenly over the fish.
2. Pour the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, and vinegar into a small bowl and stir until well combined. Drizzle this mixture over the fish and vegetables. Cover the dish with plastic wrap, folding back on corner to allow the steam to escape.
3. Place the dish in the microwave oven and cook on high power until the fish is cooked through and the vegetables are crisp-tender, 6 minutes. Stop every 2 minutes to gently stir and reposition the fish so that the outside pieces are moved to the inside. Spoon the fish and vegetables onto plates and serve.
Microwave ovens vary in power, so use the timing here as a guide. You may need to add another minute for the fish and vegetables to cook through.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members can download new coupon offers available monthly from Kellogg's.
Members can get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members save 20% on Wednesdays when dining at Carrabba's Italian Grill.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today