Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
Photo by: Joseph De Leo
Here’s a hearty vegetable soup that’s the perfect antidote to a blustery day. The addition of miso adds robustness and a hint of complexity that is often lacking in simple vegetable soups. Serve this with your favorite sandwich for a delicious soup and sandwich meal.
1. In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add carrots, celery and onions; cook, stirring, until carrots are softened, about 7 minutes. Add thyme and peppercorns; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add barley and toss to coat. Add stock and bring to a boil. Transfer to slow cooker stoneware.
2. Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours or on High for 4 hours, until barley is tender. Add green beans and miso. Cover and cook on High until beans are tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in parsley.
3. Ladle into bowls and garnish with Parmesan (if using).
Miso-Spiked Vegetable Soup with Wheat Berries
Substitute an equal quantity of wheat, spelt or Kamut berries for the barley.
Complete Step 1. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. When you’re ready to cook, continue with the recipe.
Works best in a large (minimum 5-quart) slow cooker.
Use the variety of barley you prefer — pearled, pot or whole. Whole (also known as hulled) barley is the most nutritious form of the grain.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Nutritional information does not include optional Parmesan Cheese.
Nutritional information does not include Vegetable or Chicken Stock. For nutritional information on Vegetable or Chicken Stock, please follow the links above.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.