Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph DeLeo
This is a festive cider to brighten fall and winter gatherings. And it is simplicity itself, with nothing to squeeze or chop! It sounds as though it would be too intensely flavored for children, but surprisingly enough, it’s not. Julie has had preschool guests guzzle it down from sippy cups. (For kids, cool it quickly to drinking temperature with an ice cube or two in their cups.) In California, we always make this with Martinelli’s still apple cider; choose that or a good quality, locally made cider.
It’s easier than it sounds to halve a nutmeg. Just place it on a cutting board, position the blade of a heavy knife or cleaver at the nutmeg’s equator, and press down gently. Do not try to hold the nutmeg while you cut it! The nutmeg should split neatly in two.
1. Place all the ingredients in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 6 hours.
2. Serve hot, straining out the spices.
Cooker: Large round
Setting and cook time: LOW for 4 to 6 hours
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)