Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Hans Rott
Use 95% lean ground beef for a protein packed meal. Portobello mushrooms and red wine are umami-rich ingredients that complement the natural flavors of beef. Serve on thick French bread for a unique take on a classic.
1. To prepare sauce, heat oil in large nonstick skillet over low heat. Add shallots; cook and stir 6 to 8 minutes or until caramelized. Stir in wine, broth and thyme. Cook over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until liquid is reduced to 1/2 cup. Combine butter and flour; whisk into sauce. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cover; keep warm.
2. Combine ground beef, 2 tablespoons parsley, 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Lightly shape into four 1/2-inch thick patties. Set aside.
3. Place mushrooms on grid over medium, ash-covered coals; grill, uncovered, 16 to 18 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally. About 10 minutes before mushrooms are done, move mushrooms to outer edge of grid. Place patties in center of grid; grill 11 to 13 minutes until instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into center registers 160°F, turning occasionally. Place bread slices on grid; grill until toasted, turning once.
4. Reheat sauce, if necessary. Spread 1/2 of cheese on toasted bread slices. Top each with lettuce leaf, mushroom and burger; drizzle evenly with sauce. Crumble remaining goat cheese over tops; sprinkle with parsley, as desired.
Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc, and a good source of fiber.
Nutritional information is provided by the author.
Nutrition information per serving: 454 calories; 15 g fat (7 g saturated fat; 5 g monounsaturated fat); 79 mg cholesterol; 557 mg sodium; 40 g carbohydrate; 3.5 g fiber; 33 g protein; 11.5 mg niacin; 0.5 mg vitamin B6; 2.2 mcg vitamin B12; 5.2 mg iron; 50.6 mcg selenium; 6.7 mg zinc.