Join or Renew and Choose Your Gift
- Offer ends Dec. 17
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Mussels pack such an intense flavor that they make their own stock as they cook. Add saffron, the king of spices, to the mix and all you need is water and wine for a deeply satisfying light lunch or heartwarming winter starter.
1. In a small cup, dissolve the saffron in 1/4 cup of the wine.
2. In a 10-to 12-inch sauté pan, combine the mussels, onion, parsley, thyme, bay leaf, pepper, the remaining ¾ cup wine, the water, saffron mixture, and olive oil and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and cook, shaking the pan occasionally, until all the mussels have opened. Remove from the heat and, using tongs, transfer the mussels to a bowl. Reserve the cooking liquid.
3. Once the mussels are cool enough to handle, place the mussels in the shell in another bowl and then in the refrigerator to chill, reserving the juices from the bowl.
4. Strain the mussel juices and the cooking liquid into another pan, bring to a boil over high heat, and reduce by two thirds.
5. Divide the mussels among eight serving bowls, drizzle the broth over, and serve.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members can download new coupon offers available monthly from Kellogg's.
Members can get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members save 20% on Wednesdays when dining at Carrabba's Italian Grill.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today