Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Photo by: Joseph DeLeo
Sunday nights usually find me at home, with, remote control in hand—especially during basketball season. This soup is my favorite meal to enjoy in that relaxed mode. Since I know there are as many recipes for chicken soup as there are grandmothers in the world, I do not offer this as the definitive recipe; only as my personal favorite. In deference to my grandmother, I serve it as she did, finished with a dash of olive oil and a grating of Parmigiano over the bowl.
1. Place 1 gallon water and the chicken in a stockpot and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Simmer gently, skimming regularly, until the broth is fragrant, for about 30 minutes.
2. Add the vegetables and thyme and continue to simmer for another 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Drain, and divide the cooked pasta among 4 bowls.
4. Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and place on a serving dish. Ladle the broth and vegetables over the pasta and serve with grated Parmigiano (if using), more freshly ground pepper, and a splash of extra-virgin olive oil if desired. Sprinkle the chicken with coarse sea salt and serve alongside the soup.
Simmering the soup gently keeps the chicken from shredding apart.
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving and does not include optional Parmigiano-Reggiano or Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members save 15% Mon-Thurs & during weekend lunch at Outback Steakhouse.
Members save 10% every day when dining at McCormick and Schmick's.
Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change. Join Today