Join/Renew for Just $16 A Year
- Discounts on travel and everyday savings
- Subscription to AARP The Magazine
- Free membership for your spouse or partner
Enter an ingredient, course or keyword and get cooking!
Nothing has been viewed
Photo by: Mark Shapiro
Named for the city on Vancouver Island in British Columbia, Canada, these no-bake squares are family favorites in our households.
1. Base: In a large bowl, blend together melted butter, egg and vanilla. Add cocoa, sugar, hazelnut flour, coconut and walnuts. Stir until combined. Spread evenly in prepared pan. Chill completely.
2. Filling: In a separate bowl, using an electric mixer, cream butter. Slowly add milk, custard powder, if using, and confectioner’s sugar. Mix until combined. Spread over base and chill.
3. Glaze: In a small bowl, microwave shortening and chocolate on Medium for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir until completely melted. Drizzle in ribbons over chilled filling. Refrigerate before cutting into squares.
Substitute gluten-free white cake crumbs, almond flour or pecan flour for hazelnut flour.
For a more traditional thick glaze, melt together 3 to 4 oz (90 to 120 g) semisweet chocolate and 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter. Substitute an equal amount of instant vanilla pudding mix for custard powder.
A 1-oz (30 g) envelope of custard powder contains ¼ cup (50 mL).
One individually wrapped square of baking chocolate equals 1 oz (30 g).
Nutrients per serving (% daily value)
Serving size is 1 bar. Nutritional information does not include optional custard powder.
From companies that meet the high standards of service and quality set by AARP.
Members save 15% all day, every day when dining at participating Denny's restaurants.
Members get a FREE Donut with purchase of a L or XL beverage at Dunkin' Donuts.
Members can locate discounts via the AARP® Member Advantages Offer Finder mobile app.
Join or renew today! Members receive exclusive member benefits & affect social change.